Thursday, July 7, 2011

Jeremiah Plumb

My name is Charles Torgerson and Jeremiah was my great-great grandfather.  I was very happy to come across your blog today.  I very much enjoyed the personal accounts that you have posted.  Listed below is the information that I have on Jeremiah.

Jeremiah was born 24 JAN 1818 in Delaware, Caldwell, Ohio and died 21 JAN 1884 in Ellsworth, Ellsworth, Kansas.

Jeremiah first married Dionitia Walker (10 MAR 1816 - 11 JUL 1894).  There were married by Brigham Young on her father's farm in Shoal Creek, Caldwell, Missouri.  They had one child, Hyrum (16 FEB 1838 - 09 OCT 1843).  Hyrum died of the measles and is buried in the Old Nauvoo Burial Grounds in Nauvoo, Illinois.  I have no information regarding the daughter that is mentioned on your page.  After Jeremiah and Dionitia's divorce, she married Amasa Lyman.  As a side note, on 27 OCT 1886, Dionitia had herself and deceased son Hyrum sealed to prophet the Joseph Smith with Birgham Young acting as proxy.

After Jeremiah was released from prison, he went to Lee County, Iowa to the Mormon settlement there to try and reconnect with his family.  When he found nobody there to help him, he felt abandoned and he decided to return to Missouri.

His next wife was Sarah Elizabeth Carpenter Ayles.  Her first husband was Elias Ayles (m. McLean County, Illinios on 23 APR 1847) and they had a son, James (30 MAR 1853 - 28 APR 1913).  I do not know if this marriage ended because of divorce or death of Elias.  In any case, Jeremiah and Sarah were married in Greenfield, Dade, Missouri on 09 JAN 1853.  They had two children: Josephine (b: 1855) and William Franklin (19 JAN 1858 - 27 NOV 1941).  William Franklin was my great grandfather.  Again, I do not know if this marriage ended because of divorce or death.

Jeremiah joined the 1st Regiment Infantry of the Missouri State Militia in 1861 and was discharged on 31 MAY 1862.

Jeremiah's next wife was Eliza Blake, whom he married in St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri on 17 NOV 1868.  They divorced in 1875.

Jeremiah's next and final wife was Lydia Skiles Fancher.  They were married in Sullivan County, Missouri on 27 MAR 1877.  They had three children:  John Merlin (b: 16 APR 1878), Ella Gertrude (b: 19 AUG 1879) and Bird (b: 01 FEB 1882).

Jeremiah died on 21 JAN 1884 of pneumonia in Ellsworth, Ellsworth, Kansas.  He is buried there.  I have attached a photo of Jeremiah.  I will write again tomorrow with details of more of Jeremiah's descendants and the continuation of the Plumb line; William Franklin had 9 children and John Merlin had 4 children.

1 comment:

  1. My name is Cynthia Leach and my mother was Dorothy Werremeyer and married William Jones and then my Father Harry Leach. Can you please email at leachc3316@att.net. I am interested in William Jones I can't find any information please email me. Thank you

    ReplyDelete