Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Goodbye

Goodbye
(Submitted by Kathryn Burton Castleton)


The wind was blowing the snow on the tops of the peaks out my front window today.  I don't recall seeing so much wind blowing so much snow.  It is extremely cold here tonight and that makes the first day of February in 2011 very frosty.

I've had a little break from entering family histories because my father passed away on Saturday, January 29, 2011.

My sister, Helen, and I went to Larkin mortuary to say goodbye.  We were a bit nervous about identifying his body but it turned out to be a very good experience.  One I hope to never forget.

The room he was in was very large and beautifully furnished.  As Helen and I sat there I could tell that there were many relatives present.  It was like a family reunion of people who had come together for an event. Helen said she felt like dad was grateful we were there to take care of his body.  We told him what we thought of him.

Later, we were driving around looking for an urn to put his remains in when the wind was still blowing on the peaks.  I was reminded of other winters and other cold fronts that have come our way.  None of them have come on quite a day as this.

This is the day that I said goodbye to my dad on this earth.

I know I'll see him again at the bar of God. With faith, it will be a pleasant meeting.
Kathy

1 comment: